6iIUoRA2vzvjw1Kx7ga8Vy0GZYM

Address.

The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

PO Box 159

Bexhill - on - Sea

East Sussex

TN39 3XE

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Copyright 2011-2012 Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Bexhill on Sea - The Birthplace of British Motor Racing (1902)

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club official website
FBHVC_master_logo[1]
images

Singer Gazelle Series III Convertible 1959

DSCF3574-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3573-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3572-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3586-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3587-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3796-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3792-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3794-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3826-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF3795-Optimized
press to zoom
1/1

Engine

4 Cylinders in line, OHV

Bore: 79mm

Stroke: 76.2mm

Displacement: 1,494cc

Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Carburettors: Two Solex 32PBIS

 

Transmission

Clutch: 8in Borg and Beck Single dry-plate

diaphragm

Gearbox: 4-speed, Overdrive, Close ratio

Ratios: Top 4.55, 3rd 6.34, 2nd 9.75

1st 15.24, Reverse 19.31

Prop Shaft: Hardy Spicer open

Final drive: spiral Bevel

 

Brakes

Hydraulic 9in Lockhead drums all round

Performance

Maximum Speed: 85 mph

Acceleration: 0-60 mph 21.4

Max Power: 65 bhp at 4,600 rpm

Approx fuel consumption 26-31 mpg

 

Steering

Burman re-ciculating ball type

 

Suspension

Front: Independent coil and wishbone

Rear: semi-elliptic leaf spring

Armstrong telescopic shock absorbers

 

Construction

All steel unitary, with under body girders for

extra rididity

Wheels & Tyres

Bolt on disc wheels with 5.60 x 15in radial

tyres

 

Dimensions & Weight

Wheelbase: 8ft

Track- front: 4ft 1in

Track - rear: 4ft 1.5in

Overall length: 13ft 7.5in

Overall height: 4ft 9in

Ground clearance: 7in

Turning circle: 36ft

Unladen weight: 2,415lbs

Fuel Tank Capacity: 10gals

 

Production

1958 to 1961

Price New: £957 7s 6d incling tax

The Gazelle was the first Singer to be produced following the take-over of the Singer company by the Rootes Group in 1956. The body style followed by the Gazelle between 1956 and 1967 came to be known as the ‘Audax’ body, with significant input from the US-based Loewy design organization, highly regarded at the time due to Loewy's input to several iconic Studebaker designs which the Gazelle closely resembles.

The main change when the Gazelle II became the IIA was a reversion to the more powerful Hillman pushrod overhead valve engine, developing 56bhp against the OHC’s 49bhp. In line with Rootes Group policy, the car kept getting small upgrades each with a new designation. In September 1958 the car became the III, with improved seats and a two-tone paint scheme. The IIIA of 1959 gained small tail fins and a larger windscreen. The engine was upgraded with twin Zenith carburetors, lifting output to 60bhp. The 1960 IIIB reverted to a single carburettor which improved fuel consumption and facilitated servicing "in remoter terrotories”. The IIIB also received a new back axle featuring a hypoid bevel in place of the former model's spiral bevel. The convertible was dropped from the range in February 1962.

Click on picture to increase to full size, then click on arrow to move from picture to picture.