Address.

The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

PO Box 159

Bexhill - on - Sea

East Sussex

TN39 3XE

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Copyright 2011-2012 Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Bexhill on Sea - The Birthplace of British Motor Racing (1902)

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club official website

e-mail: bexhill100@bexhill100mc.co.uk

FBHVC_master_logo[1] images Bexhill 100 Motoring Club members Van, The Piglet

Meet "The Piglet"

About The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club was formed in 1999 to cater for the needs of all motoring enthusiasts. As such there are no restrictions to joining, age of vehicle, infact some members don't own a vehicle.

 

The Club is a member of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.

 

               

Bexhill 100 Motoring Clubs own Van. An Austin A35 known as "The Piglet"

Bexhill on Sea Motoring Heritage

 

In May 1902, the first races in Great Britain took place on the seafront in Bexhill on Sea. The races had been the brain child of the Eighth Earl De La Warr, and with the assistance of the Automobile Club, later known as the RAC, the races took place at speed, back and forth from the top of Galley Hill to the Sackville Hotel. Over 200 vehicles from all over the continent took part and brought thousands of people to Bexhill to watch vehicles reaching speeds, the like of which they had never seen before on British soil.

 

Distinguished names appeared on the entry list. There was Lord Northcliffe,  the founder of the Daily Mail Newspaper in his Mercedes. Monsieur Leon Serpolllet, the Frenchman, in his steam driven “Easter Egg” with the fastest speed of 54mph and the first French victory on British soil. The indefatigable Mr S F Edge, who ran his Napier against a large entry of French owned Darracqs and many more well known personalities of the day.

 

The huge success of the meeting encouraged Earl De La Warr to make Bexhill the motoring centre of British racing drivers of the day. By 1906 plans were drawn up for a circuit almost reaching Beachy Head, with garages, restaurants and hotel accommodation. The course unfortunately never saw the light of day and the motoring set moved to the new Brooklands circuit in 1907. A few attempts were made to resurrect the races and the last competition was held in 1925 after which the Royal Automobile Club withdrew permits on public highways.

FBHVC_master_logo[1]

Click on Logo for link to FBHVC website

HOME