6iIUoRA2vzvjw1Kx7ga8Vy0GZYM

Address.

The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

PO Box 159

Bexhill - on - Sea

East Sussex

TN39 3XE

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Copyright 2011-2012 Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Bexhill on Sea - The Birthplace of British Motor Racing (1902)

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club official website
FBHVC_master_logo[1]
images

MG VA Tickford 1937

DSCF5154-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5155-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5156-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5157-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5153-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5158-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5161-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5159-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5161-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5162-Optimized
press to zoom
DSCF5160-Optimized
press to zoom
1/1

Engine

Straight 4

Capacity: 1548cc

Power output: 55bhp at 4400 rpm

Compression ratio: 6.5:1

Feuk syustem: 2 SU carbs

 

Transmission

Drive 4-speed manual

 

Performance

Maximum speed: 81 mph

Acceleration: 0-50 mph 15.8secs

Wheels

9 inch wire wheels were fitted

 

Dimensions & Weight

 

Wheelbase: 108in

Track - front: 50in

Track - rear: 50in

Overall length: 169in

Overall width: 62in

Kerb weight: 2491 lb

Brakes

Lockheed hydraulic,

10in drums all round

 

Suspension

Suspension was by half-elliptic springs all round with a live rear axle and beam front axle. Luvax shock absorbers were fitted, the rear ones adjustable from the dashboard.

 

Production

1937 - 1939 2407 made

Click on picture to increase to full size, then click on arrow to move from picture to picture.

The MG VA, or MG 1.5 Litre as it was originally marketed, was produced by the MG Car company between February 1937 and September 1939 and was the smallest of the three sports saloons they produced in the late 1930s, the others being the SA and WA.The car used a tuned version of the push-rod, overhead valve four-cylinder Morris TPBG type engine that was also fitted to the Wolseley 12/48 and Morris 12. The MG version had twin SU carburettors and developed 54 bhp (40 kW) at 4500 rpm. Drive was to the live rear axle via a four-speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios, though on some early cars it was only on the top two speeds. Nineteen-inch wire wheels were fitted, and the 10-inch (250 mm) drum brakes were hydraulically operated using a Lockheed system. In-built hydraulic jacks were standard. The British Motor magazine tested a VA tourer which reached a top speed of just over 76 mph (122 km/h) and a 0-50 mph time of 15.8 seconds. With the windscreen folded down the top speed increased to nearly 82 mph. The factory could also supply the car as a Tickford drophead coupé or as a four-seat tourer. The saloon was priced at around GBP325, the four-seat tourer GBP280 and the Tickford coupé GBP351 all prices depending on exact specification. 564 tourers and 591 coupés were made. A very few chassis, probably only two, went to external coachbuilders. At the top of the range, however, was a drophead coupe with a Tickford body by Salmons & Sons. Originally carriage builders, Salmons were among the earliest of British companies to build motor bodies, beginning in 1898. Describing themselves as “all weather specialists,” they were among the first to specialize in cabriolets, landaulets and drophead coupes. A hallmark of Salmons was the Tickford crank-operated convertible top, which used a gear mechanism to raise and lower the roof. Conveniently operated with a crank that inserted into the side of the body, it quickly performed what would otherwise be a lengthy maneuver to erect a metal frame and fit a canvas cover over it. So popular became the Tickford top that the coachworks eventually took the name for the business, which later became a part of Aston Martin, Ltd.