Address.

The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

PO Box 159

Bexhill - on - Sea

East Sussex

TN39 3XE

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Copyright 2011-2012 Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Bexhill on Sea - The Birthplace of British Motor Racing (1902)

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club official website

e-mail: bexhill100@bexhill100mc.co.uk

FBHVC_master_logo[1] images

Rover P3 75 4-light Saloon 1948

Click on picture to increase to full size, then click on arrow to move from picture to picture.

BACK

 

Rover 75 6-light saloon registered November 1948

Overview

ManufacturerThe Rover Company Limited

Production

1948–1949 9,111 produced

60 1,274

75 7,837

 

Designer Gordon Bashford

 

Body and chassis

ClassExecutive car (E)

Body style

4-door 6-light saloon

4-door 4-light sports saloon

LayoutFR layout

Powertrain Engine

1.6 L Straight-4

2.1 L Straight-6

 

Transmission4-speed manual

 

Dimensions

Wheelbase110 in (2,794 mm)

Length172 in (4,400 mm)[1]

Width65 in (1,700 mm)[1]

Height63 in (1,600 mm)[1]

Curb weight

3,000 lb (1,400 kg) approxNews in Brief.

 

The Times (London, England),

Chronology

PredecessorRover 16

SuccessorRover 75 (P4)

This car was first registered on the 26th July 1948. The Rover was built-in right-hand drive format to export specification but like many 1947/48 Rover export models it ended up being sold on the home market. During this time some 7837 cars were manufactured of the model of which only 83 have survived according to DVLA records.

The registration prefix GWD is a Warwickshire registration issued in 1948 but the owner doesn’t have any history of the cars early life. The earliest he can trace the car is 1977 when it was owned by a Rover Club member in Elderslie in Renfrew. He had owned the Rover since 1971 and his son inherited the car in 1989 in need of restoration work. Having been in the same family for 19 years the Rover was sold in need of restoration to a gentleman in Glasgow. The Rover was MOT tested in 1992 so had clearly undergone some re-commissioning work and the car changed hands again in 1993. MOT’s from 1993 show the car was in annual use right throughout the 1990’s and 2000’s and certificates show the Rover covered in the region of 10,000 miles in this time. This history details some major refurbishment from 2009 – 2011 to include a full re-trim in leather, re-furnished woodwork, work to the front suspension, prop shaft, rear axle, front hubs, steering box, unleaded cylinder head and new stainless steel exhaust system. Recently the rear suspension cross member failed and has been replaced by Steve Parker and his team at Ninfield Automotive and has also undergone some work to the ignition, fuelling and braking system.