Address.

The Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

PO Box 159

Bexhill - on - Sea

East Sussex

TN39 3XE

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Copyright 2011-2012 Bexhill 100 Motoring Club

Bexhill on Sea - The Birthplace of British Motor Racing (1902)

Bexhill 100 Motoring Club official website

e-mail: bexhill100@bexhill100mc.co.uk

FBHVC_master_logo[1] images

Triumph Roadster 1800, 1947

Click on picture to increase to full size, then click on arrow to move from picture to picture.

BACK

 

Engine (1800)

4 Cylinder in line, 8 x OHVs

Bore & Stroke: 73mm x 106mm

Displacement: 1,776cc

Compression ratio: 6.5 to 1

Max power: 65bhp at 4,500rpm

 

Performance

Maximum speed: 80mph

Acceleration: 0-60 mph 34.4secs

Overall fuel consumption: 23mpg

 

Transmission

Rear wheel drive, 4 forward speed manual, syncromesh on top 3

 

Brakes

Girling Hydrostatic. Drums F&R.

Dimensions & Weight

Wheelbase: 9ft 0in

Front track - F: 4ft 2.5in

Rear track: 4ft 6.7in

Overall length: 14ft 0.5in

Overall width: 5ft 4in

Overall height: 4ft 8in

Ground clearance: 6.5in

Unladen weight: 2,540lbs

Tank capacity: 10 Imp gallons

 

Production

1,800cc 1946-48: 2,501

2,000cc 1948-49: 2,000

Total of all Triumph Roadsters: 4,501 built

Triumph Roadster 1800, 1947, barn find not been in use since 1970, complete restoration done by myself, with the exception of trimming and painting, otherwise ground up restoration, time taken 2 1/2 years full time as I’m retired,

The 1800 Roadster, model number 18TR, was designed in the closing days of World War II. Triumph had been bought by the Standard Motor Company in 1944, and the managing director of Standard, Sir John Black, wanted a sports car to take on Jaguar, who had used Standard engines in the pre-war period. Frank Callaby was selected to style the new car. After getting Black's approval for the general shape, Callaby worked with Arthur Ballard to design the details of the body. Design of the rolling chassis was by Ray Turner. Walter Belgrove, who had styled the pre-war Triumphs and was employed as Chief Body Engineer, had no part in the design.

Early post-war steel shortages meant that the body was built from aluminium, using rubber press tools that had been used making panels for the largely wooden bodied Mosquito bomber that had been built by Standard during the war.[citation needed] The frame was hand welded up from steel tube. The engine was a version of Standard's 1.5-litre, four-cylinder side-valve design that had been converted to overhead valves by Harry Weslake and built by Standard exclusively for SS-Jaguar before World War II. The Triumph version differed from the Jaguar version in having a 6.7:1 compression ratio instead of the Jaguar's 7.6:1 and a downdraught Solex carburettor instead of the Jaguar's side-draught SU. A four-speed gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios was used.

Construction

Light alloy skin over ash frame Longitudal, steel cylindrical section chassis

 

Steering

Marles cam & double roller

 

Suspension

Front: Independent, transverse leaf

Rear: Live axle, semi-elliptic leaf

 

Wheels

Bolt on 6 x 16in pressed steel disc

with 6.00 x 16 crossply tyres